Sunday, October 16, 2011

KCWC 2011 | Unicorn Dress

I did it! Finished Ruby's dress thanks to DH for giving me this morning to spend in my sewing room, while he cooked a yummy hot breakfast. This beautiful fabric has been in my stash for a couple of years in which time 6 year old daughter has been eyeing it off. It was a set of vintage curtains - rubber backed and all! I had planned to use it for toys or cushions but that would have broken her heart. So here it is, in it's glory, re purposed and brought back to life as a pretty girly dress, using the "Dress with Ruffle Trim" pattern from the book Carefree Clothes for Girls.

This was the most technically challenging item of clothing I have made and it taught me a few new processes. I had never lined a dress before, never created ruffles and never cut my own binding. In the past I would have avoided a pattern with this amount of detail thinking I wouldn't have the patience to follow it through to the end. I'm discovering that working from a pattern can actually be fun.

Thanks Meg for organising the Kids Clothes Week Challenge again this year. I (and my kids) are ever so thankyou for your "kick up the bum" every six months to encourage sewing productivity in our house... love yer work :)


Jane said...

Oh my goodness that is just a little girl's dream dress! And so timeless. Just love the repurposed curtains :)

Angie said...

gorgeous dress....I've several rubber-backed curtains I'd love to use for clothes, perhaps I'll give this a go.


Related Posts with Thumbnails